Let’s start at the very beginning, a very good place to start…
When you read you begin with abc.
When you sing you begin with Do-Re-Mi, and when you remodel a former convent you start with a little divine inspiration in your baby girls room!
I think about things end to beginning. I underestimate all the work and detail and see big picture and get excited.
I was always allowed to decorate, paint and pick out my bedroom design as a little girl growing up and to be honest that was the most exciting thing in my pregnancies… Planning the nursery. As my three girls have gotten older and we have changed their rooms around and moved into 3 different houses – we have tweaked and redecorated their bedrooms each time.
We have had everything from stripes to polka dots, murals of all sorts. Disney princesses, Dora, Dick and Jane, and Jojo circus. We have painted colors red and purple, pink and green, yellow, raspberry, lavender, etc. But now as I transition Lyla from her nursery to her big girl room I was lacking in the idea dept.
They say necessity is the mother of invention but I was still stalling. I studied pinterest and found a million beautiful girls rooms but nothing said, “Lyla”.
One morning while I was blow drying my hair, I threw my head upside down for more volume (lie) and I spy from the bathroom doorway into her bedroom. There on her book shelf, the photo book I made of her first year – then it hits me, that’s her focal/accent wall. I love finding inspiration in your own back yard… I also love when the design means something or matches the person’s personality or aura.
So while the men folk were busy doing demo (and loving it) and painting the boring walls moonlit gray and the ceilings flat white I was masking and striping and shimmering…
Thankfully my husband knows I hate the boring prep and detail stuff and did all the taping for me. I showed him the inspiration and while he was busy doing that I was buying the colors in pint size tubs.
I removed the tape 20 mins after putting on the 2nd coat, even then it bled a little. If I was really the perfectionist I’m accused of being I would have went back to the store for green frog painting tape (I hear that works better). Regardless I was really happy with the results.
A few days after letting the paint cure, I returned to add a shimmer, sparkle of silver “glow” to the wall.
I simply mixed the shimmer into a pint of polyurethane and rolled it on. Don’t worry if it looks milky and goes on looking like slime. It will dry clear.
Don’t be afraid to try something new. It’s just paint and you can always change it. Here’s my inspirations…
Here is what I’m working on next… Lyla’s silhouette. I plan to hang it on the fruit stripe gum wall above her bed. I “picked” the head-board out of the trash on junk day. Still thinking about this one.